A photographer gets people to pose for him. A yoga instructor gets people to pose for themselves. – T. Guillemets
I went to a yoga class tonight. I was very resistant to go. My mind was working overtime trying to find the perfect excuse for me not to go. Here are some of the excuses. Most of them are quite lame. 🙂
- The class is at 7:15. When I’m a going to eat dinner?
- It’s too late. I’ll be tired.
- Do I really need to take yoga?
- Is it really going to help me feel better physically?
- I’m not that flexible.
- The class is located in an area that is hard to find parking.
- I should do some other exercises first before starting something like this.
- I’ve lost the directions. (This qualifies for the lamest excuse of the bunch.)
- Do I really want to commit to a weekly class with everything I have going on right now?
- Is a one hour a week class really going to do that much for me?
As you can see, the excuses were not that creative. I’ve also realized over the years that if you are that resistant to doing something, then you must do it. Something is going on or you wouldn’t be so insanely resistant. This type of resistance usually happens when you are about to break through old habits and paradigms. It’s also common when you are approaching a new understanding about yourself.
There is always a part of you (your ego) that does not want you to be knowledgeable. Your ego knows that knowledge is power and more importantly knowledge about yourself is freedom. Freedom from fears. Freedom from repressing your true desire. Freedom to create the life that you really want.
So, next time you are feeling resistant about doing something, make it a point to go and do it. Get a friend to push you there if you need, but go and do the thing that you don’t want to do. You’ll grow by leaps and bounds.
Have a great day!